Friday, March 27, 2015

Functional Fridays: Functional Training for Weight Loss

Functional Training



What is Functional Training?

Functional training includes exercises, both with and without equipment, which utilize movements that improve our overall quality of life: agility, flexibility, strength, stamina, balance, endurance and mobility. 

Who should do Functional Training? 

Beginners
Obese/ Overweight (Keep reading, cuz I'm going to talk about us below!)
Athletes
Youth
Everyone!*

*Want to know more about why for the category you fall under, leave a comment! Or, if you live in Utah, find a VASA Fitness ASAP! 


Functional Training for Weight Loss

Functional Training excersises tend to involve multiple muscle groups. These excersises burn more calories because they are usuing more muscle.

Being optimistic, when we are over weight, we build more muscle. We build this muscle to carry ourselves around, mostly. BUT! If we workout and eat to maintain the muscle while we work to lose bodyfat, then we can really make our bodies work for us! For instance, although I am way big, I have 88 lbs of muscle on my frame. This means if I do intense fully body workouts, I can quickly take my body from burning 1232 calories at rest to burning 4400 calories at rest. Not only are you torching calories at rest, but look at my calories during my FUNCTIONAL FRIDAY WORKOUT:



 Functional Training means more calories. And,  it helps our bodies work more efficiently doing everyday tasks... so if we are very out of shape, functional training helps structure your body to perform normal daily tasks and errands a little easier. We also build more endurance, faster, which allows us to workout harder and longer!

My Functional Friday 


My Workout Today: 

I did two sets of the following: 

Walking Lunges with Kickback (12x, with 20lb Pink Bar)
Side Lunges (as many as possible 60 sec)
Med Ball Throws  (as many as possible 60 sec)
Sumo Squat with Kettle Bell (25 lb Kettlebell, 25x)
KB Swings (25 lb Kettlebell, 15x)
Standing One Leg Balance, and Alternating Dumbbell Curl (10 lbs, 15x each leg)
Step Up  (60 sec)
Lunge to bicep curl (20x, 10 lbs DB)
Reverse lunge and with Lateral Raise (20x, 5lbs DB)
Squat to Should Press  (10x, 10 lbs DB)

No comments:

Post a Comment